Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You Never Let Go

I've been struggling the last several years to keep up with the steady flow of music that comes from artists that impact my heart and mind. Not just in my the Praise and Worship Genre but in the wide spectrum of music that I have listened to over the years. I have chalked some of it up to that gap that I noticed between myself and my parents music when I was younger. I've thought, "oh no! I've reached that age that my parents were at when music didn't seem to matter to them, the difference is, I recognize that its happening and I don't want it to". So I go and make sure I buy an album and listen to it with the purpose of thoroughly letting it flow into my heart and soul. Lately when I've done that it has seemed to just go in one ear and out the other.

Toward the end of last semester a friend was sharing with me some music from his folder, and as he taught one of these new songs it seemed vaguely familiar. Sure enough when I went back to my computer this song was on an album I had downloaded a couple month's ago. The song entitled "You Never Let Go" by David Crowder is pretty simple lyrically, its melody drives steadily and then as you repeat the chorus it is like a chant, that cuts deep into our consciousness, driving home the reality of our relationship with God. The feelings of lostness, aloneness, the idea's that we go through life as a single pilgrim holding steady to our course in the midst of all that life can throw at us, gives way to the startling reality that God has never let go of us. God is always with us. Steady and sure as we reflect on all of the ups and downs, the hurts and aches, God has never let go of us. In these moments of realization, of eyes being opened, my heart indeed overflows, gushes with God's presence and Joy. And I can remember that whatever gaps I presume are there, they are filled with God's presence. God Never lets Go

No comments: