Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Morning Personal Prayer of John Wesley

Mercifully this day watch over me with the eyes of Thy mercy. Direct my soul and body according to the rule of Thy will, and fill my heart with Thy Holy Spirit, that I may pass this day and all the rest of my days to Thy glory.

O Saviour of the world, God of God, Light of Light, Thou that art the brightness of Thy Father’s glory, the express image of His Person, Thou that hast destroyed the power of the devil, that hast overcome death, that sitteth at the right hand of the Father, Thou that wilt speedily come down in Thy Father’s glory to judge all men according to their works: be Thou my Light and my Peace. Destroy the power of the devil in me and make me a new creature.

O THOU who didst cast seven devils out of Mary Magdalene, cast out of my heart all corrupt affections.
O Thou who didst raise Lazarus from the dead, raise me from the death of sin.
Thou who didst cleanse the lepers, heal the sick and give sight to the blind, heal the diseases of my soul, open my eyes and fix them singly on the prize of my high calling, and cleanse my heart from every desire but that of advancing Thy glory.

O Jesus, poor and abject, unknown and despised, have mercy upon me, and let me not be ashamed to follow Thee.
O Jesus, hated, calumniated, and persecuted, have mercy upon me, and let me not be afraid to come after Thee.
O Jesus, betrayed and sold at a vile price, have mercy upon me, and make me content to be as my Master.
O Jesus, blasphemed, accused, and wrongfully condemned, have mercy upon me, and teach me to endure the contradiction of sinners.
O Jesus, clothed with a habit of reproach and shame, have mercy upon me, and let me not seek my own glory.
O Jesus, insulted, mocked, and spit upon, have mercy upon me, and let me run with patience the race set before me.
O Jesus, dragged to the pillar, scourged, and bathed in blood, have mercy upon me, and let me not faint in fiery trial.
O Jesus, crowned with thorns and hailed in derision;
O Jesus, burdened with our sins and the curses of the people;
O Jesus, affronted, outraged, buffeted, overwhelmed with injuries, griefs, and humiliations;
O Jesus, hanging on the accursed Tree, bowing the head, giving up the ghost, have mercy upon me, and conform my whole soul to Thy holy, humble, suffering Spirit.

O THOU who for the love of me hast undergone such an infinity of sufferings and humiliations, let me be wholly emptied of myself, that I may rejoice to take up my cross daily and follow Thee.

Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, I, miserable sinner, humbly acknowledge that I am altogether unworthy to pray for myself. But since Thou has commanded me to make prayers and intercessions for all men, in obedience to Thy command, and confidence of Thy unlimited goodness, I commend to Thy mercy the wants and necessities of all mankind.

Hear, O merciful Father, my supplications, and that for the sake of Thy Son, Jesus, and bring us, with all those who have pleased Thee from the beginning of the world, into the glories of Thy Son’s Kingdom; to whom with Thee and the Holy Ghost, be all praise for ever and ever.

No comments: