Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thursday Morning Personal Prayer of John Wesley

Eternal God, my sovereign Lord, I acknowledge all I am, all I have is Thine. Give me such a sense of Thy infinite goodness that I may return to Thee all possible love and obedience.

I humbly and heartily thank Thee for all the favours Thou has bestowed on me: for creating me after Thine own image, for daily preserving me by Thy good Providence, for redeeming me by the death of Thy blessed Son, and for the assistance of Thy Holy Spirit; for causing me to be born in a Christian country, for blessing me with plentiful means of salvation, with religious parents and friends, and frequent returns of Thy ever blessed Sacrament. I also thank Thee for Thy temporal blessings; for the preservation of me this night, for my health, strength, food, raiment, and all the other comforts and necessities of life.

And, O Father of mercies, I most humbly implore forgiveness of all my sins. Lo, I come now to do Thy will alone; and am resolved by Thy assistance to have no longer any choice of my own, but with singleness of heart to obey Th.y good pleasure. Father, not my will, but Thine be done, in all my thoughts, words, and actions.

O THOU all-sufficient God of angels and men, who art above all, and through all, and in all; from whom, by whom, and in whom are all things; in whom we live and move and have our being—may my will be as entirely and continually derived from Thine, as my being and happiness are.

O SOVEREIGN GOODNESS, O mighty Wisdom, Thou doest order and govern all things, even the most minute, even the most noxious, to Thy glory and the good of those that love Thee. O Father of the families of heaven and earth, Thou so disposest all events as may best magnify Thy goodness to all Thy children, especially those whose eyes wait upon Thee. I most humbly beseech Thee, touch me to adore all Thy ways, though I cannot comprehend them. Teach me to be glad that Thou art King, and to give Thee thanks for all things that befall me. And for that which is to come, give me Thy grace to do in all things what pleaseth Thee, and then with an absolute submission to Thy wisdom, to leave the issues of them in Thy hand.

Help me with Thy grace that whatsoever I shall do or suffer this day may tend to Thy glory. Keep me in love to Thee and to all men. Do Thou direct my paths and teach me to set thee always before me. Let not the things of this life, or my manifold concerns therein, alienate any part of my affections from Thee, nor let me ever pursue or regard them but for Thee and in obedience to Thy will.

EXTEND, O Lord, Thy pity to the whole race of mankind. Enlighten the Gentiles with Thy truth and bring into Thy flock Thy ancient people the Jews. Be gracious to Thy Church, and grant that she may always preserve that doctrine and discipline which Thou hast delivered to her. Grant that all of this nation may, whatsoever they do, do all to Thy glory. Bless all nurseries of true religion and useful learning and let them not neglect the end of their institution. Be merciful to all that are in distress, that struggle with pain, poverty, or reproach. Be Thou a guide to them that travel by land or water. Give a strong and quiet spirit to those who are condemned to death, liberty to prisoners and captives, and ease and cheerfulness to every sad heart. Give to all in error the light of Thy truth. Bring all sinners to repentance. And give to all heretics humility and grace to make amends to Thy Church by the public acknowledgment of a holy faith.

No comments: