Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Morning: Personal Prayer of John Wesley

Almighty God, Father of all mercies, I, Thy unworthy servant, desire to present myself, with all humility, before Thee, to offer my morning sacrifice of love and thanksgiving.
GLORY be to Thee, O most adorable Father, who after Thou hadst finished the work of creation, enteredst into Thy eternal rest.
Glory be to Thee, O holy Jesus, who having through the eternal Spirit offered Thyself a full, perfect and sufficient sacrifice for the sins of the whole world, didst rise again the third day from the dead, and hadst all power given Thee both in heaven and on earth.
Glory be to Thee, O blessed Spirit, who proceeding from the Father and the Son, didst come down in fiery tongues on the Apostles, on the first day of the week, and didst enable them to preach the glad tidings of salvation to a sinful world.
Glory be to Thee, O holy undivided Trinity, for jointly concurring in the great work of our redemption, and restoring us again to the glorious liberty of the sons of God.
Glory be to Thee, who in compassion to human weakness has appointed a solemn day for the remembrance of Thy inestimable benefits.
LET the inspiration of the Holy Spirit prevent and assist me in all the duties of this Thy sacred day, that my wandering thoughts may all be fixed on Thee, my tumultuous affections composed, and my flat and cold desires quickened into fervent longings and thirstings after Thee.
Let me join in the prayers and praises of Thy Church with ardent and heavenly affection, hear Thy Word with earnest attention and a fixed resolution to obey it. And when I approach Thy altar, pour into my heart humility, faith, hope, love, and all those holy dispositions which become the solemn remembrance of a crucified Saviour.
Let me employ this whole day to the ends for which it was ordained, in works of necessity and mercy, in prayer, praise, and meditation; and let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart be always acceptable in Thy sight.
GIVE Thy strength unto Thy servant, that Thy love may fill my heart, and be the motive of all the use I make of my understanding, my affections my senses, my health, my time, and whatever other talents I have received from Thee. Let this, O God, rule my heart without a rival; let it dispose all my thoughts, words and works; thus only can I fulfil my duty and Thy command, of loving Thee with all my heart, and mind, and soul, and strength.
Take Thou the full possession of my heart, raise there Thy throne, and command there as Thou dost in heaven. Being created by Thee, let me live to Thee. Being created for Thee, let me ever act for Thy glory. Being redeemed by Thee, let me render unto Thee what is Thine, and let my spirit ever cleave to Thee alone.
LET the prayers and sacrifices of Thy holy Church offered unto Thee this day, be graciously accepted. Clothe thy priests with righteousness, and pardon all Thy people who are not prepared according to the preparation of the sanctuary. Prosper all those who are sincerely engaged in propagating or promoting Thy faith and love[especially----}. Give Thy Son the heathen for His inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for His possession, that from the rising up of the sun unto the going down of the same, Thy Name may be great among the Gentiles

No comments: