Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday Evening: Personal Prayer of John Wesley

MOST great and glorious Lord God, I desire to prostrate myself before Thy Divine majesty, under a deep sense of my unworthiness, and with sorrow, shame, and confusion of fact, to confess I have, by my manifold transgressions, deserved Thy severest visitations. Father, I have sinned against heaven and am no more worthy to be called Thy son. For Jesus Christ, His sake, graciously receive me. Accept my imperfect repentance, and send Thy spirit of adoption into my heart, that I may again be owned by Thee, call Thee Father, and share in the blessings of Thy children.

ADORED be Thy goodness for all the benefits Thou hast already from time to time bestowed on me; for the good things of this life and hope of eternal happiness. Particularly I offer to Thee my humblest thanks for Thy preservation of me this day. If I have escaped any sin, it is the effect of Thy restraining grace. If I have avoided any danger, it was Thy hand directed me. To Thy holy Name be ascribed the honour and glory. O let the sense of all Thy blessings have this effect upon me—to make me daily more diligent in devoting myself, all I am, and all I have to Thy glory.

O GOD, fill my soul with so entire a love of Thee that I may love nothing but for Thy sake and in subordination to Thy love. Give me grace to study Thy knowledge daily, that in me a zealous obedience to all Thy commands, a cheerful patience under all Thy chastisements, and a thankful resignation to all Thy disposals. Let it be the one business of my life to glorify Thee, by every word of my tongue, by every work of my hand; by professing Thy truth, and by engaging all men, so far as in me lies, to glorify and love Thee.

LET Thy unwearied and tender love to me make my love unwearied and tender to my neighbour, zealous to pray for, and to procure and promote his health and safety, ease and happiness; and active to comfort, succour and relieve all whom Thy love and their own necessities recommend to my charity. Make me peaceable and reconcilable, easy to forgive, and glad to return good for evil. Make me like Thyself, all kindness and benignity, all goodness and gentleness, all meekness and long-suffering. And, O Thou Lover of souls, raise in me a compassionate zeal to save the life, the eternal life of souls, and to reclaim the wicked and win them to Thy love.

BE pleased, O Lord, to take me, with my parents, my friends and relations, and my enemies, into Thy almighty protection this night. Refresh me with such comfortable rest that I may rise more fit for Thy service. Let me lie down with holy thoughts of Thee, and when I awake let me be still present with Thee.

SHEW mercy to the whole world, O Father of all. Let the Gospel of Thy Son run and be glorified throughout all the earth. Let it be made known to all infidels, and obeyed by all Christians. Be merciful to this Church and nation. Give unto those responsible a discerning spirit that they may make choice of fit persons to serve in Thy sacred ministry; and enable all who are ordained to any holy function diligently to feed the flocks committed to their charge, instructing them in saving knowledge, guiding them by their example, praying for and blessing them, exercising spiritual discipline in Thy Church, and duly administering Thy holy Sacraments.

MULTIPLY Thy blessings on our Sovereign, on the Royal Family, and on the Lords and Commons of this land; that they may all, according to the several talents they have received, be faithful instruments of Thy glory.

No comments: