Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wednesday Evening: Personal Prayer of John Wesley

Wednesday Evening: Personal Prayer of John Wesley

O Lord, my Judge, Thou art also my Redeemer.
I have sinned, but Thou, O Blessed Jesus, art my Advocate.
Gracious Lord, spare Thy servant whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy most precious blood.
Deliver me from the power of sin and preserve me from the punishment of it.

THOU whose mercy is without measure, whose goodness is unspeakable, despise not Thy returning servant who earnestly begs for pardon and reconciliation. Grant me the forgiveness of what is past and a perfect repentance of all my sins, that for the time to come I may with a pure spirit do Thy will, O God, walking humbly with Thee, conversing charitably with all men, possessing my soul in resignation and holiness, and my body in sanctification and honour.

THOU great Shepard of souls, bring home into Thy fold all that are gone astray. Preserve Thy Church from all heresy and schism, from all that persecute or oppose the truth; and give unto Thy ministers wisdom and holiness and the powerful aid of Thy blessed Spirit.

ADVANCE the just interests and preserve the persons of all Christian princes, especially our Sovereign. Give to him and his royal family, and to all his subjects in their several stations, particularly those that are in authority among them, grace to do Thy will in this world, and eternal glory in the world to come.

BLESS, O Lord, all our nurseries of piety and schools of learning, that they may devote all their studies to Thy glory. Have mercy on all that are in affliction. Remember the poor and needy, the widow and fatherless, the friendless and oppressed. Heal the sick and languishing, and when Thou seest it expedient for them, receive them into Thine everlasting kingdom.

I PRAISE Thee for Thy continual preservation of me, for Thy fatherly protection over me this day, for all the comforts with which Thou hast surrounded me, spiritual and temporal, particularly for leave now to pray unto Thee. Accept my poor services; pardon the sinfulness of this and all my holy duties; and bless me, my friends and relations, my benefactors and enemies, this night and for ever, with the blessings of Thy children.

THESE my prayers, O most merciful Father, vouchsafe to hear, through the mediation of Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, who with Thee and the Holy Ghost is worshipped and glorified, in all Churches of the saints, one God, blessed for ever

No comments: