Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Evening: Personal Prayer of John Wesley

I MAGNIFY Thee for granting me to be born in Thy Church, and of religious parents; for washing me in Thy doctrine of truth and holiness; for sustaining me by Thy gracious Providence, and guiding me by Thy blessed Spirit; and for so often feeding my soul with Thy most precious Body and Blood, those pledges of love and sure conveyances of strength and comfort. O be gracious unto all of us whom thou hast this day or at any time admitted to Thy holy table. Strengthen our hearts in Thy ways against all our temptations, and make us more than conquerors in Thy love.
DELIVER me, I beseech Thee, from all violent passions. Let none of them find a way into my heart, but let me ever possess my soul in meekness. Do Thou reign in my breast; let me ever be Thy servant and love Thee with all my heart.
DELIVER me, O God, from too intense and application to even necessary business. I know the narrowness of my heart, and that an eager attention to earthly things leaves it no room for the things of heaven. Teach me to go through all my employments with so truly disengaged a heart that I may still see Thee in all things; and that I may never impair that liberty of spirit which is necessary for the love of Thee.
DELIVER me, O God, from a slothful mind, from all lukewarmness and all dejection of spirit. I know these cannot but deaden my love to Thee; mercifully free my heart from them and give me a lively, zealous, active, and cheerful spirit, that I may vigorously perform whatever Thou commandest, and be ever ardent to obey in all things Thy holy love.
DELIVER me, O God, from all idolatrous love of any creature. Preserve me from all such blind affection. Be Thou a guard to all my desires. And be Thou my security, that I may never open my heart to anything but out of love to Thee.
ABOVE all, deliver me from all idolatrous self-love. My choice and desire is to love myself, as all other creatures, in and for Thee. O let Thy almighty arm so stablish, strengthen, and settle me, that Thou mayest ever be the ground and pillar of all my love.
LET Thy glorious name be duly honoured by all creatures which Thou hast made. Let Thy infinite goodness and greatness be ever adored by angels and men. May Thy Church be protected from all the powers of darkness. Vouchsafe to all who call themselves by Thy Name on short glimpse of Thy goodness. Send forth Thy blessed Spirit into the midst of these sinful nations, and make us a holy people. Stir up the heart of our Sovereign, and of all whom Thou hast set over us, that they may be instruments in Thy hand of promoting this good work.
THOU Shepherd of Israel, vouchsafe to receive me this night and ever into Thy protection. Accept my poor services, and pardon the sinfulness of these and all my holy duties. Let it be Thy good pleasure to put a period to sin and misery, to infirmity and death, and hasten Thy Kingdom; that we, with all that wait for Thy salvation, may eternally love and praise Thee, O God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost, throughout all ages, world without end.

No comments: