Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wednesday Morning Personal Prayer of John WesleyWednesday Morning: John Wesley Personal Prayer

Wednesday Morning: John Wesley Personal Prayer

O Thou who dwellest in the light which no man can approach, in whose presence there is no night, in the light of whose countenance there is perpetual day, I, Thy sinful servant , whom Thou hast preserved this night, who live by Thy power this day, bless and glorify Thee, for the defence of Thy almighty Providence, and humbly pray Thee that this and all my days may be wholly devoted to Thy service. Send Thy Holy Spirit to be the Guide of my ways and the Sanctifier of my soul and body. Save, defend, and build me up in Thy fear and love. Give unto me the light of Thy countenance, peace from heaven, and the salvation of my soul in the day of the Lord Jesus.

O THOU who art the Way, the Truth, and the Life, Thou hast said: no man can follow Thee unless he renounce himself. Thou hast laid nothing upon us but what the design of Thy love made necessary for us. May I ever renounce my own, and do Thy blessed will in all things.

O THOU whose whole life did cry aloud. ‘Father , not mine, but Thy will be done’, give me grace to walk after Thy pattern, to tread in Thy steps.
Strengthen my soul that I may be temperate in all things; that I may never use any of Thy creatures but in order to some end Thou commandest me to pursue, and in that measure and manner which most conduces to it. Let me never gratify any desire which has not Thee for its ultimate object. Let me never gratify any desire which has not Thee for its ultimate object. Let me ever abstain from all pleasures which do not prepare me for taking pleasure in Thee, as knowing that all such war against the soul, and tend to alienate it from Thee. Save me from ever indulging either the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eye, or the pride of life. Set a watch, O Lord, over my senses and appetites, my passions and understanding, that I may resolutely deny them every gratification which has no tendency to Thy glory. O train me up in this good way that when I am old I may not depart from it.

Hear also my prayers for all mankind, and guide their feet into the way of peace: for Thy holy church, let her live by Thy Spirit and reign in Thy glory. Remember that branch of it which Thou has planted in these Kingdoms, especially the steward of Thy holy mysteries: give them such zeal, diligence, and wisdom, that they may save both themselves and those that hear them.

Let these my prayers, O Lord, find access to the Throne of Grace, through the Son of Thy love, Jesus Christ the righteous; to whom, with Thee, O Father, in the unity of the Spirit, be all love and obedience, now and for ever.

No comments: